- What is Barley Balance®?
Beta-glucan dry enriched all natural concentrate.
- What is Glucagel™?
High purity beta-glucan extracted using water only.
- Are these ingredients genetically modified?
No, they are from natural varieties.
- How do these ingredients compare to oats?
In extensive clinical trials with both oat and barley beta-glucans, barley performs typically better than oats on cardiovascular measures, and much better on glycemic and satiety.
- How much do I need to use to gain health benefits?
The commonly recommended per serving amount is 0.75 grams of beta-glucan (2.75 grams of Barley Balance® or 1 gram of Glucagel™). For individuals you should consume at least 4 servings or 3 grams of beta-glucan daily.
- Is there fiber in these ingredients?
Yes, Barley Balance® is over 40% fiber and Glucagel™ is 75% fiber, and both are mainly desirable soluble fiber.
- Are these ingredients soluble in water?
Yes, they are very soluble especially when mixed or stirred into warm to hot water.
- Do I have to reformulate recipes when I use these materials?
Typically, adding beta-glucan will increase water binding so adjusting water upward is the most common change.
- Are there flavors or tastes to these ingredients?
Barley Balance® and Glucagel™ are very bland in taste and do not carry strong flavors often characteristic of oat beta-glucans. Bran Balance™ has a nutty, bran flavor and can enhance flavor in products.